The State of South Dakota is excited to announce the partnership with TeamMates mentoring. The TeamMates organization is a long-standing, reputable organization that has been growing over the past few years with programs now in six different locations across South Dakota. This is a great opportunity for our state employees to give back to the youth in the communities we live and work in. A downloadable PDF will be available soon.
What is TeamMates?
- TeamMates is a mentoring program for students grades 3–12.
- It matches caring adult volunteer mentors and students with similar interests, the goal being to bring hope and encouragement to the young person through the development of a long-term supportive mentor/mentee relationship.
- TeamMates utilizes a one-to-one, developmental model in which volunteers meet with their students at the student’s school for about an hour, once each week. Each session will take place during the workday.
- The model places its emphasis on building positive relationships through which the young person can access the resources needed to be successful.
- TeamMates is currently in seven school districts in SD: Belle Fourche, Custer Hermosa School District, Lead Deadwood, Pierre School District, Rapid City District, Sioux Falls School District, Spearfish School District
- Each school district partnered with TeamMates Mentoring has a district employee who oversees the local program. Click here to see the list of local Program Coordinators for South Dakota.
Mentors report an improved sense of engagement after meeting with their students each week. Mentoring has made them better employees, leaders, parents, and partners. They believe they experience the benefits of mentoring as much as their mentee does.
- If you are interested in becoming a mentor, please work with your supervisor on scheduling your time away from work to be a mentor.
- To apply to be a mentor, please visit www.teammates.org. You will then be connected with your local coordinator.
- To be a TeamMates mentor, you will need to complete a thorough background check and mentor training in preparation for being matched with a mentee.